SERENDIPITOUS WANDERINGS

~this is my blog. i originally created it as a way for friends and family to follow my travels. now it's just a way to keep in touch. i'm sure it'll mostly be about baby now! enjoy!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

biggest fear #2!!!!!!!

so i saw a tarantula, one of my 2 bigest fears in coming to thailand, almost 2 weeks ago. i survived. haven't slept through the night since.......but i survived.

last night i left mae sot to arrive in bangkok early this morning for a day of shopping and a flight to the beach this evening. well, i took some gravol for the trip and was out cold........sleeping like a log. i was awoken at 5am to screeming and the bus all over the road and what have we here but my other of the two biggest fears..........a bus accident on a night bus in thailand. the whole time the bus was swerving (which was maybe a second or 3) it was thinking "it's happening. it's happening. it's happening." then after a nose bleed, something hitting me in the jaw and my head banging on the ground, i kept saying "it happened. it happened. it happened." after i realized i needed to get out i began to panic because the bus landed on it's side......the side i was sitting on and a woman from across the aisle was pinning me down because she landed on my leg. after a minute or two she came to and got out then i was able to get myself out. the worst was yet to come though. we had to walk out the front windshield and when i got there there was a dead guy pinned under the front of the bus and we all had to step on him to get out! when i saw this i took one step back but there were people behind me and i had no other option. so there i went over the dead guy like everyone else. after i got out i began to check myself out and saw blood from minor scrapes and millions of tiny pieces of glass all over me. then i wanted to put my hair back in an elastic and it was coming out in locks in my hands. this scared me to death and made me cry. after a bit the emergency team (if that's what you want to call them) came. they had no water and hardly anything for anyone except transportation to the hospital. everyone was thirsty and was asking for water so the emt's were going around looking for random bottles of water from the bus!! as if they don't bring water with them and just start handing it out! anyway......i ended up going to the hospital, got a bunch of xrays of my ribs, spine, and skull, my scrapes were cleaned of the glass, and i was given some antibiotics and pain killers. then two of the only other 3 foreigners on the bus were 2 girls from france and they were amazing at helping me with my bags when the police returned us to the accident scene. i couldn't have done it alone. they are staying at the same place as me tonight and hopefully i see them again.

i am skipping my trip to the beach. can't be bothered with travel at the moment. the place i'm staying at in bkk has a swimming pool and i'll relax there 'till i go to the airport late thursday night.

to my dear mother who would probably give anything to call me right now........you can't. i just asked at the desk and the phone there is only for room to room and front desk calls. don't worry about me. i'll be fine. i'll probably see you online this week and i'll call you asap when i get to korea a week from today.

6 Comments:

At 7:47 am , Blogger servant said...

Aaaahhhggg!!!
I'm soooo sorry!! You see things like that on TV, but to hear it from someone you know ... oh my soul!! SO Glad you were not hurt worse - and that you were cared for and not robbed or something in the process.

Will be praying for you!

 
At 11:42 am , Blogger Justin said...

Wow Loree.... I don't know what to say. Both Rachel and I are happy that you made it with only, what you said were, monir injuries. We'll pray for you that the trauma you suffered lasts only briefly. Stay well.

 
At 5:46 pm , Blogger servant said...

Sometimes the worst situations have the most profound symbolism ... You said that you had to step over that poor dead man to get to safety ... as I was driving in my car to church today, I was thinking of you and your story and it struck me how Jesus is just like that dead man ... that even though it may be repulsive to think that He had to go through all that suffering as He took on Himself the blame for all the wrongs we've ever done, everyone who desires to escape the disaster of this broken world have to go through Him ... there's no other way. Like Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father but by Me."

God bless you, Loree-Beth!!

 
At 11:32 pm , Blogger Keri May said...

Wow Loree, that's a horrible thing to have to experience. I'm glad you're okay though. I'll second that question about your hair - why was it falling out? And was the man someone from the bus or did the bus hit someone? Your poor parents. I have to say, they seem to handle things pretty well. My mother would flip out! You better have a safe trip back to Korea. I hope to see you here!

 
At 8:03 am , Blogger Loree-Beth said...

hey guys......

thanks for all the well wishes. i'm doing much better than the day of the accident. my back is in a lot of pain but that'll get better.

i think my hair was falling out from a cut on my head and stress. the guy was a pedastrian, i think.

 
At 7:27 am , Blogger Loree-Beth said...

mo---thanks for the encouragement. i think i'm done with adventures for a short while. nothing real adventurous 'till at least after christmas!

keri---any chance you'll be in seoul this weekend? i will be! would love to have you hang out with me and the crowd. if not, i hope to see you before i leave.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home