SERENDIPITOUS WANDERINGS

~this is my blog. i originally created it as a way for friends and family to follow my travels. now it's just a way to keep in touch. i'm sure it'll mostly be about baby now! enjoy!

Monday, May 29, 2006

tarantula!!!!!

i'm not even kidding! my biggest fear came true. i saw a tarantula!!! a real live tarantula........and i'm not even exaggerating. i almost had a heart attack. the guys have taken in this stray cat (which i can't stand), that's quite playful and it loves playing with rather large bugs and some of them can be quite interesting so i like to peer over the side of the chair or look over at it and see what it's got this time. well last night i was sitting in my chair in front of our apt., reading and the cat started jumping around playing with something and i looked over the side of the chair to see a tarantula on the end of one of the guy's sandals being jumped at by the cat!!! i was alone at the house 'cause the guys were at our friend's place across the little street we live on and i couldn't speak. i could hardly breathe but i managed to say loud enough that they heard (thank goodness!!) "guys there's a tarantula over here and i'm gonna die!" i was so weak i could hardly stand and when they came running over i started to cry and one of the guys took me over to our friends house where they'd been visiting. our friend who lives there took one look at my face and ran to get me a cold glass of water (i'm not even sure at this point if he even knew what was up) and everyone else was just standing around in mild disbelief. i stopped crying and all i kept saying, over and over, was "i can't believe i just saw a tarantula!". nevermind that it was only about a foot from the chair i was sitting in! i calmed down a bit and after a while we went back over to our place. i sat in the house with shock remaining on my face and finally i felt ok enough to go to bed. i cried myself to sleep, woke up several times during the night and got up in the morning still in disbelief that i actually saw a tarantula.....heck, i still can't believe it! the guys say it was as big as the palm of my hand!! i thought my memory of it might be skewed a bit during all the commotion, but that's what i'd have guessed. i have no idea where the thing is now but i don't think it went far. when i asked where it went, the guy i live with, who shooed it away while i got out of there, pointed at the grassy area in front of our place. it'll be a few days before i can relax in front of our apartment again! it's a good thing for these guys that this didn't happen in my first 2 weeks here 'cause i was so homesick then that i'd have left for sure! wish me well in my last 11 days!!

3 Comments:

At 6:14 am , Blogger servant said...

O Dear! That must have been very scary! I don't like spiders myself. If it's any help, tarantulas don't bother you unless they feel you are trying to hurt them. They are actually very friendly creatures. My Dad used to have one as a pet growing up in Arizona. He'd let it crawl all over him and his friends. I have his sense of adventure ... but I must have missed out on liking spiders ... they have too many legs for me :) I'd put a link on your site about taratulas, but I don't suppose you would appreciate that very much :) God bless you!

 
At 3:43 am , Blogger Loree-Beth said...

mom & dad: when you see a tarantula there is no doubt what it is!! it has a near golf ball sized body with a smaller head, pipe cleaner legs and very hairy! probably the ugliest thing on this beautiful planet and nothing i needed to see. but hey, at least i can say i lived through it!

bill: i remember your dad and loved the christmas tree chopping in his woodlot---it is one of my favorite memories from my childhood......and i'm certailny glad he didn't have the tarantula pet then! yeah, you need not bother with the link about tarantulas! ; )

 
At 6:41 am , Blogger servant said...

:)
Not to be morbid or anything, but there is a positie side to this little visit ... One cool thing about being scared to death is thinking about why we're scared of death :) It's always a good time to reflect on what happens after this short little romp on this planet. You know that old saying, "You're not ready to live until you're ready to die."

Love ya!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home