SERENDIPITOUS WANDERINGS

~this is my blog. i originally created it as a way for friends and family to follow my travels. now it's just a way to keep in touch. i'm sure it'll mostly be about baby now! enjoy!

Saturday, April 08, 2006

yup.......they're all the same

well not all the same......but close. so i was sick yesterday. threw up 3 times. (sorry.....i tend not to spare details!) anyway.....in this heat i have been taking afternoon naps........so i went to take my nap yesterday and before i'd get up the uncle i live with had to go to his office. we made plans for me to meet him there at 4:30pm and he'd show me the friday market. well around 3:30pm i woke up wet with sweat (more than usual.......usually i'm just damp with sweat!) and my stomach felt terrible. i threw up twice and went back to lie down and in the meantime the nephew showed up. i got up agian to throw up the water i drank and asked him if he could phone his uncle and tell him that i couldn't meet him. next thing i know one of my dear students comes in the apartment to ask me if i'm ok and to tell me that i am going to the clinic.......that the uncle is there with the group (ftub---federated trade unions of burma) leader waiting for me. great. i have the 24 hour flu and now i'm being rushed to a clinic. so a taxi comes for me (taxis here are scooters) and in my state of just waking up and being weak, i wasn't paying attention to my feet when getting on the back of the scooter cause i was trying not to flash everyone due to wearing a skirt and my foot slipped off the foot rest next to the exhaust and now i have a burn about the size of a canadian $2 coin on the back of my calf. wonderful day. so i arrive at the clinic.......the doctor asks me various questions (no i don't have a headache, stomach ache, fever or anything wrong.......these people are just over protective of me---but really, they just feel responsible for me) and in the end he gave some rehydration drink powder, anti-vomit pills and vitamin supplements. just like korea---it's all the same..........if you even sneeze, get a paper cut or have any kind of ailment.........it's time to go to the doctor. funny. i guess this train of thought comes from growing up where the flu is deadly and malaria is prevalent. i'm feeling much better today. nothing more than mild food poisoning or 24 hour flu.

as for pics........i will have some up asap. i have a few from the b-day i can put up. my people are concerned about security and few people who are still going back and forth between here and burma don't want their faces on my website. they have to be super careful with security issues. many of them are wanted by the burmese gov't for being involved with the democracy movement. i will do what i can.

2 Comments:

At 7:04 am , Blogger servant said...

Wow, so sorry to hear you were sick. That has to be one of the worst things about being in a different place (or at least it would be for me).

Oh, Ok, don't worry about pictures that identify your house or location ... maybe the market or town or country side? Forgive me, I'm just such a visual learner that to put it all in perspective I really like visual cues. :)

So glad you are feeling better Loree.

 
At 9:10 am , Blogger J Fraser said...

hey Loree, Happy (belated) Birthday!!! Sorry to hear you were sick. It must feel kinda good though that people are looking out for you, even if they're going too far with the doctor etc. anyway, have a great year, lots of success and happiness. :) jess

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home